Wednesday, April 27, 2011

10 Random Songs Wednesday

Distant Lover by Marvin Gaye
What can I really say about Marvin Gaye that has already not been said. I just know that he could probably sing the hoe out of damn near any woman better than any man who has ever walked the earth. If you don't believe me, listen to the live version of this song.

Black Hand Side by Pharoahe Monch feat. Styles P & Phonte
I have made it pretty clear to anyone who will listen how much I love Pharoahe Monch's new album W.A.R. This song is in the same vein of a criminally slept on joint by Styles P from a several years ago called "I'm Black". If you were hoping like I was that this was going to be Phonte from Little Brother, pump your brakes it is Foreign Exchange Phonte.

Second Childhood by Nas
I am probably the only person who thinks God's Son was a better album than Stillmatic. That said Stillmaticc had this song on it which was better than anything out at the time. 10 years later the lyrics are still very relevant. This is one of my favorite DJ Premier beats.

She Ought To Know by Eric Roberson feat. Marsha Ambrosius
I already dig Eric's music, but I will buy damn near anything with Marsha's voice on it. This is the the kind of joint you put on your grown man slow jam tape.

Punks Jump Up To Get Beat Down by Brand Nubian
I always think of the episode of Martin when he challenges Tommy Hearns to a fight after winning a charity boxing championship. It's a very funny episode and a great song.

If I were Your Woman by Gladys Knight & The Pips
This is one of those classic songs I have to listen over and over when it comes up. The way her vocals become more intense as the song goes on makes this feel like more than just some lyrics that were written on a sheet of paper. Alicia Keyes tried to remake this song a few years ago and failed horribly. It also makes me feel some kind of way to hear Alicia sing this song now considering she stole a married man from his pregnant wife in front of the entire world.

When The Money Goes by Jay-Z
I can't remember exactly where I got this version of the song because the only version that was officially released was the one that was on Fabolous' last album with Jay-Z only doing the hook. This version is better, trust me.

I'm Still Waiting by Jodeci
I took this girl I really liked to see the Lion King on our first date and after the movie was over we drove back to her parent's house, not wanting the date to end the two of us just talked in my Hyundai hatchback for a couple of hours before I walked her to her door. This song was the first song on cassette tape of R&B songs that was the soundtrack to a conversation that I will never forget. I know Boyz II Men sold way more records, but from '91 to '96 NOBODY was effin' with Jodeci!

Vocab (Remix) by The Fugees
A lot of people including some of you reading this thought The Score was The Fugees first album because their first album Blunted On Reality was a flop on all levels. I will be honest when I first heard and saw the Fugees, I thought that they were a dark skinned, less talented version of Digable Planets. Luckily there was somebody at the label who had enough faith in this group to keep the project alive by releasing remixes to a couple of the stronger tracks on the album and the remix to Vocab banged hard.

Faithful by Common
I actually got to meet Common when this album was out. I told him one of my favorites on the album was "Faithful" because it was a perfect follow up to "Go". He told me that it was going to be the fourth single after "Testify". It wound up never happening. I still like Be from front to back except that they put the live version of "The Food" on the retail album while the studio version was on the bootleg.

No comments:

Post a Comment