Monday, August 29, 2011

How Is This Still Cool?

I just want you to look at the picture above for a moment. Pretty messed up, right? I thought the same thing while knocking back a Fat Tire at a restaurant while watching baseball highlights a couple of weeks ago when this image came up on the screen.

For those of you who do not follow professional baseball this is the logo for the Cleveland Indians. This is not an old logo from the 30's and 40's but the one that adorns almost all of their official paraphernalia today in 2011. It's bad enough that the majority of the people who would be offended by this have been killed off but to continually mock them with this logo is just cruel and insensitive. I know someone reading this may think I am being too sensitive and that this is not a big deal, but what if there was a logo like this representing your nationality of ethnic group? Replacing the feather with a sombrero and putting a joint in between those over sized teeth would surely upset some of my Hispanic friends, I am pretty sure throwing a Yamaka on this logo with some side locks would be a tad unsettling to my Jewish brothers & sisters, and I would be on the phone with the quickness to Al Sharpton if a Major League Baseball team changed it's logo to Lil' Wayne's face.

If Mississippi State a.k.a. Ole' Miss can change their logo from a confederate soldier to a rebel black bear and stop singing "the south will rise again" when the football team scores a touchdown, I think The Cleveland Indians organization should sack up and seriously consider changing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment