Sunday, November 6, 2011

This Is Not Shôtarô Kaneda!

When I heard that Hollywood would be making a live action movie of the classic manga & anime Akira, I thought "wow, how are they going to fuck this up?" Well, I got my answer. In typical Hollywood fashion they are casting a film based on a story surrounding a group of Japanese teenagers with a bunch of white people in their late 20's and 30's. The fact that Justin Timberlake was even being considered for the role is weird and disheartening. He was probably going to cost too much money, so the role is apparently going to the guy who played Sam Flynn in Tron Legacy. I was going to use his picture but I don't really care to look up his name again and a picture of Justin Timberlake is probably much better for web traffic. Anyway, they should just make the movie and call it something else because calling it Akira with no Asian lead actors is insulting to the fans of the source material and to people's intelligence.

No comments:

Post a Comment