Wednesday, February 9, 2011

10 Random Songs Wednesday


Staying In Love by Raphael Saddiq
This song is off of his last album The Way I See It. If anybody else would have tried to attempt a project like this they would have effed it up royally but these songs actually sound like they were created during the late 60's.

Krystal Karrington by Camp Lo
This is how you start an album! This was the first song off of "Uptown Saturday Night" and it is the hardest joint on the whole record. I saw them in concert a few months ago and they put on a good show. They announced that they are doing an album with Pete Rock called 80 Blocks From Tiffany's. I hope this project actually comes out.

Color Blind by Ice Cube
Krystal Karrington was hard for a Camp Lo song, but it did not have shit on Color Blind. This song is from an era when white people had good reason to be scared of rappers. In fact during the time when Death Certificate was out, the state of Oregon declared that displaying Ice Cube's image in any retail space to be against the law.

MC Hammer by Rick Ross
If I was 14 years old I might think this was hard, but because I grew up on Ice Cube I think this is one of the funniest songs that came out in 2010. That said I finally put a decent stereo in the Accord so on a sonic level, I enjoy a lot of Rick Ross' music but white people should not fear him for any reason.

Heaven Sent by Donnie
The album The Colored Section is an under appreciated soul gem. It was put out by Giant Step in 2002 and re released by Motown in 2003. A lot of people get compared to Stevie or Donny Hathaway but this gut actually deserved that praise, not only for style but for subject matter. I was lucky enough to see him in concert in St. Louis along with Julie Dexter. His music is available in digital form on Amazon. Do yourself a favor and check this record out.

Escapism (Getting Free) by Digable Planets
I was lucky enough to see them live a few years ago at the Vogue in Indianapolis on a Sunday night. At the end of night I got a chance to meet Ladybug Mecca by the merch table. When she gave me her hand to shake, I broke into stone cold gentleman mode and kissed it. She seemed surprised and flattered and she talked to me for a few minuets about female emcees and her solo project. That was a good night.

Sound The Alarm by Black Milk feat. Guilty Simpson
This is another song that will always remind me of Coaches Tavern on Tuesday nights in Indianapolis.

Havin' Thangs by Big Mike
At point I was not feeling Big Mike because in my eyes no one could replace Willie D in the Geto Boys. That said, I used to play the shit out of this song. Pimp C produced it and was on the song's hook.

Can't Tell Me Nothing by Kanye West
When I first heard this song I heard in through computer speakers and I hated it. A couple of days later I heard it on some real speakers and loved it. The only problem I had with it after that was the line where he says "I ain't one of the Cosbys I ain't go to Hillman". The HUXTABLES went to Hillman, not the Cosbys.

Pink Cookies In A Plastic Bag Being Crushed By Buildings (remix) by LL Cool J
If 14 Shots To The Dome was LL Cool J's second album, it would have ended his music career. There is not one good song on that entire record. The version that most people remember from the video is a remix, that is not on the album.

No comments:

Post a Comment