Monday, February 14, 2011

Lady Antebellum, Really?

Last night I watched most of the Grammys. I say most because I am going to enjoy Bob's Burgers before it gets canceled. During the evening I saw a group I had never heard of called Lady Antebellum win 5 awards at the show. Now I am admittedly not the biggest country fan so I looked them up on Wikipedia to see what the fuss was about.

Much to my surprise I find out the word "Antebellum" commonly refers to pre-Civil War America, especially the pre-Civil War culture in the slave holding southern states. I don't know if anyone in the group knew that, hell I had no idea and from what I can tell they don't have any "south will rise again anthems" on any of there their albums. The thing is major record companies go over things with a fine toothed comb. How did not one A&R at Capitol pick up on that they has signed a group that had a name linked to pre-Civil war slave culture?

During the evening a lot of my friends were on Twitter during the show, my man Vernon who is getting his PhD in American History had the tweet of the night. @Negrointelect Today Lady Antebellum...next year, there is a rap group coming out called The White Citizen's Council.

2 comments:

  1. I am familiar with the group. They have a popular song that I like. And I like their style in general. I did know what the word Antebellum meant. I am from the south, so the word is used often. I'm not offended by the name or the group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't aware of the historical meaning.. looooove their 1st single and video.. and have seen their interviews describing them choosing the name from maybe a street sign?? Can't recall.. that interview was like a year ago..

    ReplyDelete