Wednesday, February 23, 2011

10 Random Songs Wednesday

All That I Got Is You by Ghostface Killa feat. Mary J. Blige
If you were not close to tears the first time you heard this song there is something wrong with you.

Dance Tonight by Lucy Pearl
This was group was made up of Raphael Saddiq, Dawn Robinson, and Ali Shaheed Muhammad. It's one of those really great R&B songs that people forget about until someone plays it, and then everyone will get a look on thier face that says "that was my shit". Too bad we only got one album from them.

Cheers To You by Playa
When I did the quiet storm on my college radio station, I played the hell out of this. This is a very under rated slow jam. Timberland did a lot of work on this record. This was before Timberland decided he was going to work mostly with established white pop stars.

Last Days by Onyx
Everybody thinks of "Slam" when Onyx is brought up, but this is my favorite Onyx song. This song sounds like concrete and blunt ashes coming out of your headphones. That is a good thing.

Coolie High by Camp Lo
My friend Chris worked at Dr. Wax in Chicago during school breaks just for the record hook up. He always came back to Carbondale with so much good stuff everybody else would not be on until months later. I remember when he came back with this song on white label. I made a tape of it and wore it out. That summer after my freshman year I bought the soundtrack for The Great White Hype just so I could have this song on CD before their album came out.

The One And Only by Snoop Dogg
I know a lot of people stopped taking Snoop Dogg seriously after he signed to No Limit Records but Paid The Cost To Be The Boss was probably his most solid album since Doggystyle. This song was produced by DJ Premier and came out as a b side on promo only vinyl.

Nutmeg by Ghostface Killa
I have a lot of Ghostface on my MP3 player.

The Death Of Optimus Prime by Vince DiCola
Yes, I have the entire soundtrack from the Transformers movie that came out in 1986 on my MP3 player. I am that much of a nerd. I usually never listen to the whole song because near the end of the song the drums remind me of Optimus Prime's body turning gray as he dies. Vince DiCola also did the score for Rocky IV. It sounds like he was working on both movies at the same time because the music in both films is very similar.

Early This Morning by Jay-Z
This song was leaked in 2002 between BP1 & BP2 and never saw an official release. It sounds like a Just Blaze track. I actually have an instrumental and clean version of this.

Telling Me Stories by Big Bub
I don't know if this was a hit anywhere else, but in St. Louis this was a big hit on what was at the time Majic 108. It was a slow Jam about a man wanting to help a woman with a substance abuse problem. It is still a powerful song to this day. Even when he was with the group Today, I never felt like Big Bub got the love he should have.

No comments:

Post a Comment