Wednesday, January 26, 2011

10 Random Songs Wednesday

This is the 4th time I have don this, I should not have to explain what is going on here.

Superwoman by Stevie Wonder
I don't write songs but I wish I wrote this one. I can't really put into words how great this song is, so I'm not even going to try.

Public Service Announcement by Jay-Z
If you are out DJ'ing and you are about to lose the crowd this track will almost always buy you a couple of minutes. I saw Jay-Z in concert last year and when he dropped this, the roof almost came off of the stadium.

Pat Your Weave by UCB feat Wale
This is one of those songs I thought was going to work on some level, but I guess it was just a little too Washington DC. Actually I don't know if DC was feeling this track, but I liked it as soon as I saw it on VH-1 Soul.

Black by Pearl Jam
This was not even a single off their first album, but the Alt. Rock station 105.7 in St. Louis played it like it was. "Jeremy" was cool but I bought this album on the strength of this one song. It spoke to me more than most Hip-Hop in 91-92 but remember I was was growing up in the suburbs.

Champion by Kanye West
I always feel like I should run a couple of laps when I hear this song. After Graduation came out, it felt like they played the Steely Dan song that he sampled for this track a lot in random places.

Skybourne by Curren$y
I remember when people started talking about this guy, and I just blew it off because I remember when he was a 3rd stringer for both No Limit & Cash Money records. This just shows how an artist can really do his thing when he is not worried about pleasing the heads of major labels who are only concerned with something they can push onto radio. This song along with several others off of his album "Pilot Talk" are really good.

The Sly, The Slick, And The Wicked by The Lost Generation
A lot of times the songs that are sampled to make a lot of my favorite Hip-Hop songs wind up being songs I play all of the time. Nas used this loop for the intro to "It Was Written". I dig almost any song from the 70's that breaks down the game to young ladies.

Body by The Jacksons
This is off of the Victory album that Michael had to record with his brothers so they would stop asking him for money after Thriller blew up. Marlon wrote and sang lead on this song. It is probably one of the best songs they did that did not have Michael on it. Strangely, even though they called their American tour The Victory Tour, they did not include one song from the Victory album on the set list. I remember during Jackson mania there was a digital watch you could send away for that played this song. It was 20 bucks and I knew better than to even ask my mom or dad for it considering it had no educational value.

Fireworks by Drake feat. Alicia Keyes
I am still not sure why people hate on this kid so hard, especially when he makes songs like this. This is the kind of deeply personal song about finding your place in the world I would take over tales of drug dealing anyday.

Different Times by Raphael Saddiq feat. T-Boz
This was one of my favorite songs off of Instant Vintage, an album which I had a lot of favorite songs off of. Instant Vintage was not a huge chart success for Interscope so they dropped him from the label, a week later the record was nominated for 5 Grammys. I wish T-Boz would have had more opportunities to do soulful stuff like this apart from TLC.

1 comment:

  1. I fux with this Random Song Wednesday heavy, fam.

    Stevie Wonder's "SuperWoman" is one of the greatest musical compositions ever!

    ReplyDelete