Thursday, January 6, 2011

Ted Williams, I'm Not Impressed

I know the country is all wrapped up in the feel good story of a the panhandler with the golden voice but I am more annoyed at this than anything else. I am happy that this guy is off the street, but damn! Do you know how many out of work radio announcers there are out there who are not working people's nerves on street corners right now? No one is going to interview them. Do you know why? It's because they are somewhere working a job they hate, checking Clear Channel, Emmis, and Radio One's websites on their lunch breaks praying that a weekend board operator position opens up. Now, a lot of what I write here comes to me late at night after binge drinking but I used to work in commercial radio and I know a lot of hard working people personally who are are more talented than this guy who are looking for a break. If I did not actually like my job, I might have been one of them.

The worst thing about this is just like anything else in America that makes people instantly famous there are going to be copy cats. This may not be a big deal to many of you, but I work in an area where there is about a 50% chance that I will have an interaction with someone asking for money when I go get gas, go to the drug store, or get some food. Now they are going to want to share "God's gifts" with people whenever they can. I am not looking forward to these monologues and tap dance routines at all.

My take on this may come off as bitter and a little cold hearted, but I have heard a lot of great voices. When I saw the picture of the guy before I saw the video, I was just surprised that he did not start growling or sound like Ol' Dirty Bastard. Mr. Williams I am glad you are not bothering the hard working people of your community anymore, but I am not impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment